WHAT I EAT IN A DAY: ENERGY FOR THE BABY & ME

I don't believe in restrictive diets and I don't count calories, especially during pregnancy. Instead, I eat intuitively and infuse my body with nutrients that energize and satisfy. While I allow my true hunger signals to guide me, I do use basic nutrition principles to create a framework for 90% of my choices. The other 10% is reserved for indulgent moments that I enjoy with intention.


3 MEALTIME PRINCIPLES


When I first graduated from nutrition school, I would often curate meal plans for clients, mostly for weight loss, sometimes for diabetes management or for cardiac rehab purposes. While I did see some benefit to customizing sample days or even weeks to my patients' individual needs and preferences, it always felt like I was perpetuating diet culture...and rarely would they adhere to the plan anyway. I still get asked to provide this service often and I typically decline. Instead, I educate clients on the same nutrition principles that I follow. This way, they carry the concepts with them into any meal setting and begin integrating them into their lifestyle for the long-term. These are the uncomplicated basics I encourage at mealtime:

  1. aim for high protein, healthy fats & fiber

  2. choose mostly gluten-free, dairy-free & refined sugar-free

  3. add flavor so that you love every bite

1) PROTEIN, FAT & FIBER

Food devoid of fat just isn't as pleasurable. Healthy fats (like avocado, olive oil and nut butter) contribute to a satisfying mouthfeel, enhance brain function and provide satiety. Protein, fat and fiber together create long-lasting energy, something that working women, moms and (especially) expectant moms need. Keep your protein clean (grass-fed beef, wild caught fish, pasture-raised eggs, organic free range chicken). Your fiber should come mostly from fruits, vegetables, beans and some grains.


2) MOSTLY GF, DF & REFINED SUGAR-FREE

If you spend any amount of time in the wellness space these days, you may notice that the trending topic is inflammation (thank God). To put it simply - gluten, dairy and sugar can contribute to inflammation (the core of almost all disease), so it's best to limit consumption. If I do have gluten, it's either an indulgent food that I'm choosing to enjoy 10% of the time or it's from a whole food source like sourdough bread. If I have dairy, I stick to cheeses made from sheep or goat's milk like manchego, feta and goat cheese (these are more easily digested in humans). As for yogurts, I reach for grass-fed and full fat. Sugar should come from natural sources like fruit, maple syrup, honey etc...not from mass-produced, refined and packaged foods.


3) FLAVOR

This is the part that connects most directly to our relationship with food. I don't believe it's possible to sustain healthy eating habits unless your food is full of flavor. This is where art and science meet. Marry together the science of nutrition with the art of creating flavor combinations that satisfy and you'll never feel like you're missing out. Aim for nutrients that energize and flavors that dazzle your senses.


Here's what a typical day looks like for me lately:

*Keep in mind I'm 27 weeks pregnant and this is simply what feels right for me at the moment. If you have specific questions regarding your individual needs, please reach out*


6:00AM - WORKOUT

1 scoop orange dream collagen + ice water


6:30 - MEDITATION & READING

My collagen coffee


7:30/8:00 - BREAKFAST

Daily Harvest smoothie + 1 scoop Orgain protein + coconut water


other favorites:

  • a homemade protein shake like this one

  • avo toast on gf or sourdough bread with fried egg

  • egg scramble with gf waffle & real maple syrup

10:00 - MID MORNING SNACK (IF I NEED IT)

sweet potato protein donut + mint tea


other favs:

12:30/1:00PM - LUNCH

DH Minestrone Soup + bone broth with almond flour or rice crackers


other favorites:

  • meat sauce over lentil noodles with a big handful of arugula

  • panera med bowl with chicken

  • dinner leftovers

2:00 - PICK-ME-UP

earl grey + raw manuka honey + foamed almond milk


3:00 - AFTERNOON SNACK (IF I NEED IT)

DH cacao nib + vanilla bites

other favs:

  • celery + nut butter

  • tuna salad dipped with apple rounds or flaxseed crackers

  • turkey rollups or hb eggs dipped in spicy mustard

6:00 - DINNER

gluten-free chicken parm (recipe coming soon) + simple salad


other favs:


7:00 - DESSERT

DH frozen scoops

other favs:

8:30 - BEDTIME MOCKTAIL

2 tsp Calm magnesium powder + sparkling water


If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email or message me on instagram @kristenmariasrd. If you want to try out any of the Daily Harvest products I mentioned, make sure to use my code DHKRISTENM25 for $25 off your first delivery. KMARIAS30 also gets you 30% off your 1st order at Orgain.com!


Xo, Kristen